C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] [cpp] Implementer concerns with Defect Report issue 2538 (Can standard attributes be syntactically ignored?) in P2710R0

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 00:09:45 -0500
On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 9:35 PM Gabriel Dos Reis via Liaison <
liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Does C++ have the notion of "strict conformance"?

The standard speaks of conforming implementations.

Implementations do not always act as conforming implementations. Sometimes
users like that. Sometimes they don't.

One way users like implementation non-conformance is when they allow users
to violate the rules of the language (without a diagnostic) when
implementations could do something "useful" for their ill-formed programs.
Some users respect what the standard says a bit more (or that the "useful"
things the implementations do are ill-advised) and decide that they would
like diagnostics for those programs.

I believe that users tend to like for their overload sets to act
predictably though, so it would make sense for rules set by the standard to
be used to determine errors that cause substitution failure.