C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] [isocpp-ext] [cpp] Implementer concerns with Defect Report issue 2538 (Can standard attributes be syntactically ignored?) in P2710R0

From: Timur Doumler <cpp_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 07:39:53 -1000
Hi,

> On 12 Nov 2022, at 07:22, Ville Voutilainen via Ext <ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> We (meaning you
> and I) will need to write a paper for the Issaquah meeting, and if
> that fails, consider a DIS ballot
> comment, and if that fails too, well, then you may need to
> deliberately be non-conforming if that's
> what it comes to.

In that paper, that you said you need to write, I think you should propose wording that spells out precisely what it is that you want (I guess, allowing implementations to treat attributes grammatically as skipped-over token soup?), and *not* simply reverts Defect Report issue 2538, because that would take us back to a specification that is ambiguous, and that's not helpful to anyone.

Cheers,
Timur