C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] On _Thread_local for better C++ interoperability with C (P2478)

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 11:09:26 +0100
On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 12:09 AM Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 11/02/2022 23.54, Corentin wrote:
> > Su
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 10:44 PM Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/02/2022 22.39, Corentin wrote:
> > >

> > > On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 10:33 PM Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]> <mailto:Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden] <mailto:
> Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>>> wrote:

> C++ type
> simply not
> clang
> > >
> > > Sounds good to me.
> > >
> > > - Survives WG14 making thread_local a real keyword.
> > >
> > > - Requires no collaboration from WG14.
> > >
> > > - Your header shared between C++ and C already ought to use
> 'extern "C"',
> > > so this reduces the footgun surface.
> > >
> > > - thread_local in C++ with dynamic libraries is already a
> nightmare
> > > (dynamic initialization order, squared), and this nicely
> sidesteps the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > - If C++ wants to do something on the C++ side (e.g.
> constdestroy or so),
> > > it can do so at its own pace.

> non-trivial init in common code defined in a header, but so that it does
> different things in C and C++? If you need non-trivial init, define the
> code in a separate C++ transition unit, not in a header.

> for this narrow scenario?
> > >
> > > We're not changing the grammar. We're just adding a paragraph
> of restrictions
> > > for thread_local. That seems palatable, given that 'extern
> "C"' already
> > > causes restrictions for other areas of the C++ syntax.
> > >

> > > Don't we need to allow extern "C" static? Afaict this would be
> novel
> >
> > extern "C" {
> > static int x = 1;
> > }
> >
> > works with gcc today.
> >

> > How do you handle local static at function scope?
> If you want to use the surrounding function from both C and C++,
> you need to wrap it into "extern C" (simply to get the correct name
> mangling) and the thread_local thus appears within extern C and the
> novel semantics apply.
>
> If you want to use the function from C++ only, it's likely not wrapped
> in "extern C" and you get the usual C++ semantics.

My understanding of the issue was as follows:
There is a thread_local which is a C++ type (thereby not extern) , passed
to a C function, from within a C++ function.
Such thread_local could be declared at function scope.

struct S {
S();
};

extern "C" {
void foo(S*);
static thread_local S s; // would be okay, with different semantics (eager
initialization)
};

void f() {
/* extern "C" */ static thread_local S s; // Do we care to support that ?
foo(&s);
}

Here I don't think users will necessarily want to put f in the extern "C"
scope, for example.
The variable needs to be in an extern "C" scope, not necessarily the
enclosing function