C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] On _Thread_local for better C++ interoperability with C (P2478)

From: Uecker, Martin <Martin.Uecker_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 20:20:19 +0000
Am Freitag, den 11.02.2022, 20:45 +0100 schrieb Corentin via Liaison:

> Another idea, brought up by Tom, was the idea of some syntax at point of
> use:
> extern "C" thread_local S foo;
>
> But the compiler still needs to create code for initialization and
> destruction. I guess in that case, the compiler can eagerly run the
> initialization, and that solves the not-yet-initialized problem C faces.

Initialization for each thread?

I think the most intuitive behavior is if

extern "C" thread_local S foo;

behaves just like _Thread_local would do in C and a C++ type
that requires non-trivial initialization would simply not
be allowed, i.e. it behaves like _Thread_local in clang
in c++ mode.

But I might not fully understand the issues here.

Martin