C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] #once proposal

From: Miguel Ojeda <miguel.ojeda.sandonis_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 22:10:39 +0100
On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 10:02 PM Ville Voutilainen
<ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> So, nothing, I'm merely telling you that you have failed to prove your
> bold claim.
> Your subsequent bold claim that it's 'reality' instead of a bold claim
> also remains unsubstantiated.

I did prove `#pragma once` is widely used everywhere (= all kinds of
domains / companies / entities).

In fact, given the Reddit C++ post, one could even think it is the
_most_ widely used form in C++ (vs. the guard: 2.3k vs 1.2k), for
whatever that poll is worth.

> Those projects already have the form they are already using. There's
> no need for a standards
> committee to take an action to give them what they already have,
> especially when what's being proposed
> gives them something else, including a different spelling.

I bet some users would complain to us that we standardized `#once ID`
but not what they used. One way or the other, we can't win.

Cheers,
Miguel