C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] #once proposal

From: Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 19:43:19 +0000
On Thu, 3 Feb 2022, 19:29 Steve Downey via Liaison, <
liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I see that there's yet another proposal for standardization of pragma once
> on the agenda for C?

Yep.

Is there any chance that this gets adopted? Because at scale it doesn't
> work, and causes both structural and transient problems, and it will be
> even harder to get people not to use it if it's in the standard.

That keeps being explained, but people keep saying "but it worked when I
tried it and I want it" :-(

> The include guard replacement form would be OK, but also doesn't fix the
> common complaints about guards, that it suffers from collision and
> cut/paste errors.

Indeed. That form does work, and is a little more convenient than having to
name the token twice, and end the file with #endif

I wouldn't be opposed to *only* having that form, but that's not the
proposal.