C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] C and C++ Compatibility Aug Agenda

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 15:04:29 +0300
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 14:43, Bjarne Stroustrup via Liaison
<liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Apologies for not attending. I am on vacation with only phone access. I'm hopeful about progress on character sets, but worried by attempts to improve arrays - such attempts have in the past had a tendency to lead complexities. Good luck with all.

It looks like I can't attend this meeting either, I have leisurely
engagements earlyish in the evening my local time. I have reservations
about the array proposal, I wonder whether WG14 has considered adding
a new array type that would have more valuelike semantics.
The concern about adding these abilities into the existing arrays is
that they may still have problematic semantics (like very eager
decay),
and the current limitations can be an advantage, because they keep
arrays more confined and contained, rather than suggesting that
they're available for general use like more regular types are.

In C++ we have a clear break from traditional arrays to std::array.
That works wonderfully well for some audiences, much better
than partially extending what traditional arrays can do. My main
feedback item would be to seriously look at that sort of an
alternative,
and better explain what 'funny' semantics of arrays remain after the
things proposed in this paper.