C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] n2743 Volatile C++ Compatibility

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 12:20:57 +0200
On 22/05/2021 16.08, Robert Seacord via Liaison wrote:
> I'm looking for reviews / comments for n2743 Volatile C++ Compatibility before submission. If you are interested in reviewing, you can find a PDF of the proposal here:
>
> http://robertseacord.com/wp/2021/05/22/volatile-c-compatibility/ <http://robertseacord.com/wp/2021/05/22/volatile-c-compatibility/>

I think there are substantial amounts of embedded header
files that use compound assignment.

C++ is also reconsidering its deprecation of volatile
compound assignment; see https://wg21.link/p2327r0.

I think it would be prudent for C to leave volatile compound
assignment untouched for now, at least for bit-banging, unless
there is more intrinsic motivation than "C++ did it".

Jens