C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] C and C++ Compatibility May Agenda

From: Aaron Ballman <compatibility.sg.chair_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 07:32:08 -0400
As a reminder, our next meeting will be on Fri May 7, 2021 (this
Friday) at 17:00 UTC
(https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20210507T170000&p1=tz_pt&p2=tz_mt&p3=tz_ct&p4=tz_et&p5=1440&p6=tz_cest).

You can join the meeting at https://iso.zoom.us/j/5513145100 with the
same password used as last time.

We will be discussing the following papers:

maybe_unused attribute for labels (https://wg21.link/P2323)
Proposes allowing the [[maybe_unused]] attribute on labels. The author
plans to poll whether the feature should proceed to the WG21 Evolution
Working Group and whether there is early feedback to be incorporated
before the June WG14 meeting.

Labels at the end of compound statements (https://wg21.link/P2324)
Proposes to allow labels at the end of a compound statement, which is
a recent change in C to make label positioning more uniform. The
changes already adopted in C23 make labels more consistent with C++ in
some areas, and this paper hopes to make the positioning fully
consistent between both languages. The author plans to poll whether
the feature should proceed to the WG21 Evolution Working Group.

Support C atomics in C++ (https://wg21.link/P0943)
Defines what it means to include <stdatomic.h> within C++ code and
attempts to enable shared headers that can use atomics from either C
or C++ code. The paper has already been accepted by WG21 for C++23 but
the author wishes SG22 to review it for compatibility concerns that
may have been missed during WG21 review.

Hope to see you there!

~Aaron