C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] Multidimensional subscript operator

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:59:40 +0300
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 at 11:47, Jā‚‘ā‚™ā‚› Gustedt <jens.gustedt_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> My personal experience when talking to people from the C++ community
> is that often there is a lack of such understanding. For example, to
> know that VLA and VM types are different things, that VM types as
> function interfaces don't have the disadvantages that have automatic
> VLA if defined on the stack, and that VM types can easily be
> dynamically allocated with no fuzz.
>
> Discussion about VM types (or VLA because people don't know the
> difference) quickly become hostile. It seems that historically the
> subject is quite overloaded. I would be cool if we could overcome that
> social difficulty.

I would kindly suggest that we start by you explaining by what you
mean by "VM type". :)

(*) As a tongue-in-cheek side note, I once asked an expert in an
encryption module why
my encrypted video stream fails to start playing. I got an answer
"based on the log,
your LTK and LEK are fine, as is your STK, but your SEK seems stale."
A colleague
of mine read the response and goaded me to answer that with "omg lol wtf?". :P

(**) From the C++ side of it, we do need to be careful when talking
about CRTP, NTTP, DMI,
etc. :)