C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] adding punctuator tokens

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 17:11:12 -0400
On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 2:47 PM Jens Gustedt <jens.gustedt_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> on Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:57:00 -0400 you (Steve Downey
> <sdowney_at_[hidden]>) wrote:
>
> > Yes I have a todo to bring it at least to the liaison group.
>
> great!
>
> > I don't think the technical grammar changes would carry over, but
> > the design ought to.
>
> C's technical specification here is in fact quite simple. This is just
> done with ranges of codepoints that are permitted for identifiers in
> a normative annex. We should just watch that we keep these ranges in
> sync as much as that is possible.

C++ is planning to outsource that to the Unicode standard, because they're
maintaining a stable list, and really that list doesn't get new items at
any regularity. The big change was not white-listing all the
unassigned characters, since that allowed all sorts of problems, in
addition to allowing the RTL stuff.

There were some grammar changes just to fix some problems with pp-tokens,
making sure that UCNs always were, and dealing with pp-numbers that don't
turn out to be numbers.

The most controversial change is this cleans out the emoji that have crept
in, and it's mostly controversial because people think they are all
allowed, whereas there are swaths of them blocked out now, including some
of the ones used as modifiers.