C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] adding punctuator tokens

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:55:26 +0300
On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 at 11:44, Jens Gustedt via Liaison
<liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> So I am very eager to hear your opinion about *technical* difficulties
> with this, but I'd also very much appreciate if we could not expand
> this to a general culture war about personal preferences, other
> languages than English in sources, or the keys that you have on your
> keyboard.

Whether I and people from other locales different from mine can edit
C++ code reasonably
swiftly seems to me like a technical difficulty. Whether they can have
a common understanding
of the code when it inevitably needs to be internationally co-authored
by people with very different language
backgrounds and keyboard layouts seems to me like a technical difficulty.

Your suggestion that parsing C++ becomes easier is unrealistic wishful
thinking. Implementations will
still need to parse C++11, and C++03. Adding more punctuators doesn't
simplify the language, it
gives the language more options.

Which is not always an obvious benefit.

On this part:
"Imagine in 32 years from now people would still not be able to use normal
technical characters in their preferred programming language."
Yeah. That's where we are now, and have been for 50 years, considering
that APL has been an option
for that long. There have also been "literal programming" environments
where the "normal technical characters"
can be used, and environments where it's possible to never see their
mapped representations in raw source
code, like programming in the IDE of, say, Mathematica.

None of that has changed the complete dominance of programming
languages where you can't use
the "normal technical characters".

I don't buy the suggested benefits of this. I think it also lacks a
serious look at what the downsides would be.
I'm sure you can implement this stuff in a parser without any trouble,
but the problems start when you start
deploying the result, and evolving/maintaining it. I don't consider
that a "culture war", I consider that
very much a technical problem.