C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] (SC22WG14.18841) [Fwd: sudo buffer overlow]

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 18:07:21 +0200
On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 18:02, Bjarne Stroustrup via Liaison
<liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Examples like this featured prominently in the discussions. Many was very uneasy with the idea that "int a[n];" could have different types based on the definition of n.
>
> An other area of unease/dislike was the way VLAs were used in function parameters. I don't recall details, but those might have been recorded somewhere.

There were factions that wanted a library wrapper that wraps a VLA and
remembers the size. We had reports that
that wrapper causes implementation difficulties. And then we ended up
not having consensus to explore such wrappers
further, and we didn't have consensus for standardizing just a plain
VLA without the wrapper.

And then there's other things, like sizeof always being a compile-time
operation in C++, and many of us wanting to keep
it that way. That probably wasn't a major part of it, but it's
certainly something where C and C++ are bound to clash.