C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] (SC22WG14.18841) [Fwd: sudo buffer overlow]

From: Uecker, Martin <Martin.Uecker_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 17:45:27 +0000
Am Donnerstag, den 28.01.2021, 09:07 -0800 schrieb JF Bastien:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 11:21 PM Uecker, Martin via Liaison <
> liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

> > Forwarding this to the liaison list, because I would
> > also love to hear opinions about this from the C++ side.
> >
> > Best,
> > Martin

I was talking about VLA and variably modified types, which
already exist in practice and can be used for bounds
checking and which *are* dependent types.

I pointed out that they are dependent types because I believe
that not everybody knows and understands this, and some
might think of VLAs as adhoc hack without good type theory.

Variably modified types have currently three problems
which are all fully in the scope of standards bodies:

1. They are optional which makes it impossible to add
safe interfaces using them.

2. They are incompletely specified and not fully
integrated into C as types (e.g. one can not store a
varibaly-modified type in a struct).

3. And finally there is the problem that C++ does not
have them.

Best,
Martin