C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] a common C/C++ core specification

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 13:43:15 -0400
On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:37 PM JF Bastien via Liaison <
liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 9:51 AM Jens Gustedt via Liaison <
> liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Hubert,
>>
>> on Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:27:28 -0400 you (Hubert Tong

>> > Envisioning generic as a group of overloads is interesting. With C++,
>> > we now have abbreviated function templates, so even the non-default
>> > cases can be templates somewhat directly.
>>
>> Probably yet another thing that I'd have to learn about C++.
>>
>> > The observation that C++
>> > could use something like generic was the subject of a previous paper:
>> > https://wg21.link/p0404.
>>
>> Very interesting, indeed, thanks for the link.
>>
>> (Though I am not able to comprehend all of this, my C++ is probably
>> much too basic.)
>>
>> So, from the date on that paper I guess you didn't find enough support
>> for this?
>>

> It was presented in the 2016 Issaquah meeting.
>
> The straw poll to encourage more work was positive:
> 5 | 11 | 3 | 2 | 0

My impression of the feedback was that it was not particularly indicative
of a direction for advancing the paper with new information. In combination
with the sudden shift in the focus of the C++ committee to various
deliverables and an apparent lack of further interest, we have not
continued to pursue development of the feature. At around the same time,
there were other proposals for library solutions that could have been seen
as completing with respect to the statement form of the proposed feature.
With advancements to the committee process, there is a chance that we could
gather better feedback now in an incubator group.