C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] Allow '.' to behave like '->' where it is currently an error

From: J Decker <d3ck0r_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 22:15:09 -0800
On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 10:09 PM Uecker, Martin via Liaison <
liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> It is useful to have the information about
> whether something is a pointer or not and the
> difference between '.' and '->' makes it clear.

https://gist.github.com/d3x0r/f496d0032476ed8b6f980f7ed31280da#the-meaning-of---and--

it reduces the points you have to check, but it's really not all that
useful when dealing with a variety of languages.. '.' just becomes another
place to check validity of the expression's values... So yes, it increases
the potential things to check... but then, nothing stylistically prevents
you from continuing to denote that.