C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] [isocpp-core] [SG16-Unicode] What is the proper term for the locale dependent run-time character set/encoding used for the character classification and conversion functions?

From: Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:20:04 +0100
On 13/08/2019 09:38, Niall Douglas via Core wrote:
> Before progressing with a solution, can I ask the question:
>
> Is it politically feasible for C++ 23 and C 2x to require
> implementations to default to interpreting source files as either (i) 7
> bit ASCII or (ii) UTF-8? To be specific, char literals would thus be
> either 7 bit ASCII or UTF-8.

I see that nobody has said no to this proposal yet. Yes I agree with
Corentin that escaped characters within literals are fine, you don't
even need a UTF library in the compiler for those, so small C compiler
folk won't complain.

If nobody from WG21 objects to this proposal, shall I go ask WG14?

Because if they also don't object, then there is green grass ahoy.

Niall