C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Atomic notify may get missed by atomic wait

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 08:49:48 -0700
On Friday, 22 July 2022 03:41:25 PDT Marcin Jaczewski wrote:
> pt., 22 lip 2022 o 03:48 Thiago Macieira via Std-Discussion
>
> <std-discussion_at_[hidden]> napisaƂ(a):
> > On Thursday, 21 July 2022 10:26:49 PDT zwhconst via Std-Discussion wrote:
> > > So it seems to me that the current wording does not guarantee the
> > > termination
> > > of the above code, so as the original code in the other mailing thread.
> >
> > Then please write a paper to firm the wording up.
>
> But what should be added to fix it?
> Would be enough text like:
> "notify guarantee that current value is visible in all threads before
> unblocking"

Probably not. Given the level of complexity that this portion of the language
requires, as evidenced by our discussing the very problem here, I expect you
need to write a lot more. It might be a good idea to contact the people who've
actually written the wording in question and published the most recent papers
in this area to discuss this. They aren't necessarily on this list.