C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Exported redeclarations

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 09:40:27 -0500
Repost for the sake of the ML. I accidentally only replied to the OP.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 3:07 AM Vladimir Grigoriev <vlad.moscow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Just read the phrase the following way
>
> "A name is exported by a module if it is introduced or redeclared by an exported
> declaration in the purview of that module."
>
> This phrase contradicts the previous phrase that makes the reading is entirely unclear.

... yes, if you remove words from a phrase, it can make the phrase
unclear. But then it's a *different phrase*; read the original phrase,
and it's fine.

It's no different than seeing `if(true || something())` in code; it
doesn't matter what `something()` does because the presence of `true`
makes it irrelevant. And if you take away `true ||`, `something()`
becomes relevant, but it's also a *different statement*.