C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] SG21 talking about C compatibility of Contracts syntax tomorrow

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:50:23 -0400
I intend to raise the topic of system headers during this discussion.
Use of contract annotations on C standard library functions would bring
clear benefit to C++ programmers, but would require such annotations to
be present in system headers. If WG21 adopts a contracts syntax that is
not amenable to C or WG14, that would create the potential for WG14 to
adopt a different syntax for C (at some point) either for a similar
contracts facility or for contract-like features like Clang's
nullability attributes
<https://clang.llvm.org/docs/AttributeReference.html#nullability-attributes>
or the proposed bounds checking annotations
<https://discourse.llvm.org/t/rfc-enforcing-bounds-safety-in-c-fbounds-safety/70854>.
I can imagine that C standard library implementors might experience some
amount of consternation if different annotations were to be required for
different languages. Likewise for programmers that provide libraries for
use with both C and C++. I encourage anyone with opinions on this matter
to attend.

Tom.