C++ Logo

liaison

[wg14/wg21 liaison] Attn WG 14, question about atomic_fetch_* and floating point re: [isocpp-lib-ext] P0493 Atomic max/min

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:27:56 -0400
+liaison_at_[hidden] <liaison_at_[hidden]>
+ISO C <sc22wg14_at_[hidden]>
+CFP <cfp-interest_at_[hidden]>

On Tue, Jul 4, 2023 at 5:00 AM Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 at 22:54, Hubert Tong via Lib-Ext <
> lib-ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Why would C not want to use the fetch_min and fetch_max names?
>>

> C doesn't support atomic_fetch_add etc on floating-point types. Is there
> any suggestion that WG14 might want to change that? Because if they don't
> support atomic arithmetic on floating-point types, it seems unlikely they'd
> want to support atomic min/max on floating-point types. In which case, it
> doesn't matter what semantics C++ gives those names for floating-point
> types.

Good point. I am forwarding this question (whether the C committee has
interest in whether atomic_fetch_min/atomic_fetch_max applies
fminimum/fmaximum/fminimum_num/fmaximum_num/etc. semantics) to the C/C++
liaison, WG 14, and C Floating Point study group reflectors.

[Cringing at the cross-list posting, but not sure what else to try.]