C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] #once proposal

From: Miguel Ojeda <miguel.ojeda.sandonis_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 21:58:48 +0100
On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 9:42 PM Ville Voutilainen
<ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The second link is performing a search on a tiny drop in the ocean of
> source code in this world.
> I fail to see how that proves your claim of "widely used everywhere".

I can also tell you about private projects from different companies &
entities using it, as well as others that do not. So?

> If that's really the case, I wonder why you haven't dropped that
> identifier-less part of your proposal.
> Based on field experience, those caveats are not widely understood,
> and standardizing that footgun
> will lead to rather nasty surprises when innocent users think a plain
> #once works as it advertises on
> the tin. "Surely a standards committee knows better than to
> standardize something as quirky as that", they'll
> say.

Because many projects are already using it, thus it seems fair to give
them the form they are already using.

As I already mentioned in a previous WG14 discussion, I think it is
likely that the committee may only want the identifier form, but
again, we should discuss it.

> We seem to have different definitions of "everywhere". Mine is not a
> synonym of "used in many <insert whichever word here>".
> That's not what "everywhere" means, according to any dictionary that I
> can consult.

I didn't say "everywhere". I said "widely used everywhere". And again,
I was replying to Steve -- so take into account that context.

Cheers,
Miguel