C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] C and C++ Compatibility SG meeting summary for Oct 06, 2021

From: Aaron Ballman <aaron_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 11:54:40 -0400
On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 11:39 AM Tom Honermann via Liaison
<liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Thank you for hosting the meeting yesterday, Aaron!

My pleasure, I'm glad it was a productive meeting, thank you for participating!

> With regard to this poll: Should the _Float* C names be available
> (through some means) in C++ and be used as the types behind the
> std::float* aliases?
>
> The SA vote rationale was "My reasons against were that similar but
> slightly incompatible types is not good for the same names. ...."
>
> Previous polls had consensus to align the usual arithmetic conversions
> between C and C++, but did not have consensus for applying the C++
> implicit conversion rules to C. With regard to the SA rationale above,
> is the "slightly incompatible types" concern directed at those
> differences in the implicit conversion rules? Or is the concern over
> other differences? If the latter, a list of notable differences would be
> useful.

I'll leave it to the person who made the comments to explain further,
but my personal interpretation of the comment was that there was
unease with exposing the C names in C++ unless the semantics were
identical and there are cases where the semantics are compatible for a
well-formed program in both languages but not identical across
languages. If I have this wrong, hopefully I'll be corrected.

> My understanding is that the intent of P1467R4, and as stated by the
> author yesterday, is that these types would have the same semantics in
> each language with the only exception being that, in some cases, a use
> may be ill-formed in one language and not the other (e.g., the
> differences in the implicit conversion rules).

This matches my understanding of the authors' intent with P1467.

~Aaron