C++ Logo

liaison

[wg14/wg21 liaison] D2388R3 (Minimum Contract Support: either No_eval or Eval_and_abort)

From: Andrzej Krzemienski <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:54:08 +0200
Hi Everyone,

This is to let you know that we have a draft of revision 3 of the contracts
MVP paper:
https://isocpp.org/files/papers/D2388R3.html

In this revision so far:

   1. Expanded the rationale for the choice of syntax in section {rat.att}.
   Discussed the concerns about confusion with attributes and the potential
   incompatibility with the C programming language.
   2. Renamed the names of the two translation modes to *Eval_and_abort*
   and *No_eval*, in order to clearly suggest that they control the runtime
   evaluation of the predicates, rather than the checking of syntactic
   correctness at compile time.
   3. Fixed places where the term "function argument" was used incorrectly
   instead of "function parameter".
   4. Added an example in section {rat.arg} to illustrate an alternate
   solution with implicitly-const function parameters.
   5. Removed the normative encouragement for the violation handler to
   output a message to the standard diagnostic output. This is to address
   security concerns.
   6. Addressed the usage of const_cast in section {rat.arg}.
   7. Extended the discussion on per-subexpression side effect elimination
   in section {rat.eff}.
   8. Added section {imp} on implementability, which discusses lists two
   reference implementations.
   9. Expanded the rationale in section {rat.end} on why we require the
   call to std::abort() (rather than std::terminate()) upon contract
   violation.

We tried to incorporate all feedback we obtained on the reflectors and in
personal email. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the quality of the
paper. We are sorry if anything was ignored. This has been a great amount
of feedback to incorporate.

One thing that is still to be added is the wider discussion of the syntax,
but it is difficult to keep up with the ongoing reflector discussions.

Any further feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,
&rzej;