C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] [isocpp-sg21] Telecon to review P2388R1 Minimum Contract Support: either Ignore or Check_and_abort

From: Andrzej Krzemienski <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 20:06:52 +0200
śr., 22 wrz 2021 o 17:29 Peter Brett via Liaison <liaison_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> [...]

Ok, so I hear now a second concern about the [[pre: x]] syntax.

The first one was that a compiler that incorrectly treats everything inside
[[...]] as an attribute can omit the parsing of the contract annotation.

The second concern here is that we send the wrong message to the
programmer: that function contracts are not important, because things in
[[]] are unimportant in terms of correctness.

Is that a fair summary?

Personally, I think that `noreturn` in declaration:

[[noreturn]] int f(int i);

Also expresses the function's contract, and is important, because it
affects what usages of the function are correct or not. Even if the
compiler "ignores" it.

Regards,
&rzej;