C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] [isocpp-sg21] Telecon to review P2388R1 Minimum Contract Support: either Ignore or Check_and_abort

From: John Spicer <jhs_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 10:36:10 -0400
The contracts syntax is intentionally “attribute-like” but “not actually an attribute”, which allows a compiler to treat those differently.

But the syntax difference is very subtle and a different that a compiler that does not support attributes would be unlikely to check for.

As an example:

  [[something x]]
  [[something(x)]]

The first is an invalid attribute but we could potentially decide to make it a contract, while the second is a valid attribute.

So, C++ is saying that the syntax of the stuff inside “[[ ]]” matters in the contract vs. attribute decision.

I believe that is intentional so that older C++ compilers that support attribute but not contracts will probably ignore them.

I think that also means that unless a C compiler does syntax checking on unrecognized attributes, there should not be an issue.

All of that said, making progress on contracts is an important and also difficult process, and I don’t want to have to guess which other groups might have concerns about our direction.

So, if SG21’s work is of concern to SG22, please make sure that someone is monitoring and or attending our meetings.

Thanks,

John.