C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] C trap representations and unspecified values versus C++ indeterminate values

From: Uecker, Martin <Martin.Uecker_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:21:25 +0000
Am Samstag, den 10.10.2020, 10:54 +0200 schrieb Jens Maurer:
> On 10/10/2020 09.52, Uecker, Martin wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 10.10.2020, 00:32 -0400 schrieb Hubert Tong via Liaison:

> > > Yes, and we're at risk of getting a hodge podge mix of the C and C++ rules
> > > in implementations.
> >
> > Yes, but keep in mind, that there are also many C compilers that
> > do not support C++.
>
> We're talking about strictly reducing the guarantees given to users,
> so existing implementations are not affected. (They just happen
> to provide a little less undefined behavior in some cases.)

We tend to care more about existing code than about implementations.

I am also not much impressed by arguments based on optimization.
But if we could make the language safer and more consistent,
I would support a change in this direction.

(For example, I am opposed to unstable values which are sometimes
proposed to enable optimizations. These would make the language
more difficult to analyze.)

Best,
Martin